Almost every person on the planet earth dream of having their own house. That is also one of the most common American dreams that people live and work hard for. If you are owning a home in Hawaii or just planning to buy it in a short period of time, you should know that there are pros and cons of owning a home in Hawaii, as anywhere else.
Pros and cons of owning a home in Hawaii
Becoming a proud homeowner is one of the things everyone dreams of! But if you are not one of those people and you are planning on owning a home in Hawaii, you might need move-in and move-out cleaning services that you can get from a professional moving/cleaning company. However, today we are talking about the pros and cons of owning a home in Hawaii, so, let’s get started!
- Hire a professional mover
- Pros of owning a home in Hawaii
- Cons of owning a home in Hawaii
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Renting a Home
- Tax Benefits of owning a home
Hire a professional mover
Whether you are making a short or long-distance move, you will need a professional mover help. One of the best ones is residential movers Hawaii, who will pack and relocate your belonging safely and fast!
Every professional moving company has a license and years of experience in the moving industry. They will calculate the costs of your move in advance and you won’t have to worry about any extra costs at the end of the move. Also, every professional moving company has plenty of services that they can provide. Some of those services are:
- Packing and Unpacking
- Truck and Transport services
- Safety and Insurance
- Storage Units
- Special Services (these kinds of services cost extra, ask your professional mover for the list of the special services that they can provide)
Pros of Owning a home in Hawaii
Same as everywhere else, owning a home in Hawaii has good and bad sides. Let’s start with good ones! So, let’s see what are the pros of owning a home in Hawaii!
- Pride of being a homeowner!
- You will have more privacy (no landlord to check on you from time to time, the house is yours, nobody will bother you!).
- Renovating and Remodeling! Being an owner means you can remodel and renovate your home as you like and whenever you want!
- Mortgage won’t cost more than rent per month.
- Interest paid on the mortgage is tax deductible.
- Real Estate value will increase over time! It’s good in case you want to sell your home one day!
- Consistent payments with a fixed-rate mortgage.
- Pets! You will be able to have as many pets as you like! If you are renting an apartment, most of the time the landlord doesn’t accept pets so you have difficulties to find a suitable place! Well, not this time!
In addition, in case you are buying a home, check on guide for buying a Hawaii oceanfront house!
Cons of Owning a home in Hawaii
As we said, owning a home has its good and bad sides. Let’s go to the cons now and you will figure out whether buying a home is a good idea or not.
- Difficult to move to the new location. If you own a house, you will have to take care of a lot of things before moving to another destination. Therefore, it’s easier for those who rent because they can just gather their stuff and go, you as an owner will have way more work to do.
- Extra costs! Being a homeowner means more costs, which includes taxes, repairs, insurances etc.
- Down payment is one of the upfront costs that can be pretty high.
- Most of the mortgage payments will go towards interest in the first 10 years.
- Landscape maintenance.
If you are making a long distance move and moving to Hawaii, here are some tips for long-distance home buyers!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Renting a Home
Now that we went through the pros and cons of owning a home in Hawaii, let’s see what are the advantages and disadvantages of renting a home!
- Rent payment can be the same or less than a mortgage payment on the same house.
- Upfront costs are way less when you rent than when you buy a home! Huge difference!
- Move-in costs will be lower.
- Relocation will be easy because you don’t have to worry about property or home. Just pick up your stuff and go!
- You are not responsible for paying for the repairs (except if you break or destroy something that was functional before you moved in).
- Renting a home can not increase your credit score.
- You are not allowed to remodel and renovate the property or a house. Though you can always talk to the landlord about this problem, some of them may allow remodeling.
- You won’t earn a return on your payments.
- Monthly rent payment can increase over time. Usually, rent will be the same for a while, but the landlord has the right to increase the monthly rent whenever they want. The rent will raise after a while whether you like it or not.
- Most of the time, landlords won’t make any cosmetic upgrades on the home so the house might look old and dated.
If you need more information, you should also check on renting vs. buying a house!
Tax Benefits of owning a home
One of the best advantages that homeowners can get and why most of the people decide to buy a home instead of renting is the tax savings. When you buy a home and have mortgage monthly payment sorted out, most of that payment is actually interest. However, what you should know is that you will be able to write off the interest that you are paying and you won’t have to pay taxes on that portion of your income.
Those were the pros and cons of owning a house in Hawaii. Whether you are buying or renting a house you should know what to expect. We wish you all the best and happy house hunting!